uu.seUppsala universitets publikationer
Ändra sökning
RefereraExporteraLänk till posten
Permanent länk

Direktlänk
Referera
Referensformat
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association
  • vancouver
  • Annat format
Fler format
Språk
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Annat språk
Fler språk
Utmatningsformat
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Positron emission tomography with 11C-methionine in hyperparathyroidism
Uppsala universitet, Medicinska och farmaceutiska vetenskapsområdet, Medicinska fakulteten, Institutionen för kirurgiska vetenskaper, Endokrinkirurgi.
Uppsala universitet, Medicinska och farmaceutiska vetenskapsområdet, Medicinska fakulteten, Institutionen för radiologi, onkologi och strålningsvetenskap, Enheten för radiologi.
Uppsala universitet, Medicinska och farmaceutiska vetenskapsområdet, Medicinska fakulteten, Institutionen för radiologi, onkologi och strålningsvetenskap, Enheten för radiologi.
Visa övriga samt affilieringar
1994 (Engelska)Ingår i: Surgery, ISSN 0039-6060, E-ISSN 1532-7361, Vol. 116, nr 6, s. 974-981Artikel i tidskrift (Refereegranskat) Published
Abstract [en]

BACKGROUND:

Positron emission tomography (PET) has not been evaluated for preoperative localization and functional characterization of the parathyroid tissue in hyperparathyroidism.

METHODS:

Images of the neck and upper mediastinum of 23 patients with hyperparathyroidism were obtained by PET after intravenous administration of 400 to 800 MBq L-[methyl-11C]-methionine. The investigation was repeated in six patients after Na2-ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid infusion, whereby stable 65% to 157% rise in intact serum parathyroid hormone values was attained.

RESULTS:

Parathyroid surgical procedure revealed single (21 patients) or two enlarged parathyroid glands (two patients) that were characterized as chief cell adenoma (n = 13), hyperplasia (n = 10), or carcinoma (n = 2) and weighed 80 to 6000 mg. Twenty (80%) of these glands were localized by PET. The remaining examinations (20%) were false negative and mainly encompassed small parathyroids in juxtathyroid position. Among 15 patients undergoing parathyroid reoperation true-positive localizations were obtained for 87% of the glands. The images displayed lower tracer uptake in residual thyroid lobes (n = 40), esophagus, and cervical vertebrae. Na2-ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid infusion failed to enhance parathyroid uptake values. Ultrasonography, computed tomography, technetium-thallium scintigraphy, and venous sampling revealed 25% to 53% of the pathologic parathyroid tissues of the patients undergoing reoperation and was largely complementary to PET.

CONCLUSIONS:

The results suggest that PET may provide novel possibilities for the imaging of pathologic parathyroid glands in hyperparathyroidism.

Ort, förlag, år, upplaga, sidor
1994. Vol. 116, nr 6, s. 974-981
Nationell ämneskategori
Medicin och hälsovetenskap
Identifikatorer
URN: urn:nbn:se:uu:diva-152877PubMedID: 7985105OAI: oai:DiVA.org:uu-152877DiVA, id: diva2:414223
Tillgänglig från: 2011-05-02 Skapad: 2011-05-02 Senast uppdaterad: 2017-12-11Bibliografiskt granskad

Open Access i DiVA

Fulltext saknas i DiVA

PubMed
Av organisationen
EndokrinkirurgiEnheten för radiologiInstitutionen för biokemi och organisk kemi
I samma tidskrift
Surgery
Medicin och hälsovetenskap

Sök vidare utanför DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

pubmed
urn-nbn

Altmetricpoäng

pubmed
urn-nbn
Totalt: 410 träffar
RefereraExporteraLänk till posten
Permanent länk

Direktlänk
Referera
Referensformat
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association
  • vancouver
  • Annat format
Fler format
Språk
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Annat språk
Fler språk
Utmatningsformat
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf