uu.seUppsala University Publications
Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Enhanced carbon loss from anoxic lake sediment through diffusion of dissolved organic carbon
Uppsala University, Disciplinary Domain of Science and Technology, Biology, Department of Ecology and Genetics, Limnology. Leibniz Inst Balt Sea Res, Rostock, Germany.
Uppsala University, Disciplinary Domain of Science and Technology, Biology, Department of Ecology and Genetics, Limnology.
Uppsala University, Disciplinary Domain of Science and Technology, Biology, Department of Ecology and Genetics, Limnology.
2016 (English)In: Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences, ISSN 2169-8953, E-ISSN 2169-8961, Vol. 121, no 7, 1959-1977 p.Article in journal (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

Lakes are highly relevant players in the global carbon cycle as they can store large amounts of organic carbon (OC) in sediments, thereby removing OC from the actively cycling pool. However, sediment OC can be released to pore water under anoxic conditions and diffuse into the water column. In carbon budgets of lake ecosystems, this potential OC loss pathway from sediments is generally disregarded. Combining field observations and incubation experiments, we quantitatively investigated dissolved OC (DOC) diffusion from sediments into anoxic water of a boreal lake. We observed substantial increases of bottom water DOC (26% in situ, 16% incubation), translating into a DOC flux from the sediment that was comparable to anoxic sediment respiration (3.3 versus 5.1mmolm(-2)d(-1)). Optical characterization indicated that colored and aromatic DOC was preferentially released. Reactivity assays showed that DOC released from anoxic sediment enhanced water column respiration and flocculation in reoxygenated water. Upon water oxygenation, flocculation was the most important loss pathway removing similar to 77% of released DOC, but the remaining similar to 23% was mineralized, constituting a pathway of permanent loss of sediment OC. DOC diffusion from lake sediment during anoxia and subsequent mineralization in oxic water during mixing increases overall OC loss from anoxic sediments by similar to 15%. This study enlarges our understanding of lake ecosystems by showing that under anoxic conditions significant amounts of DOC can be released from OC stored in sediments and enter the active aquatic carbon cycle again.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2016. Vol. 121, no 7, 1959-1977 p.
Keyword [en]
Carbon cycling, Anoxic and hypoxic environments, Limnology, Biogeochemical cycles, processes, and modeling, reductive iron dissolution, sediment DOC flux, carbon burial
National Category
Earth and Related Environmental Sciences
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:uu:diva-304388DOI: 10.1002/2016JG003425ISI: 000382581900018OAI: oai:DiVA.org:uu-304388DiVA: diva2:1032897
Funder
Swedish Research Council FormasEU, European Research Council, 336642
Available from: 2016-10-05 Created: 2016-10-05 Last updated: 2017-06-16Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

Peter et al 2016(864 kB)19 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 864 kBChecksum SHA-512
1c35b63b63cc1428e100e1b2c156264f2213c8541965858780013d6a319a6c844dc10418f720d9e79f78662688eb817496e8af54cad28ecbe103fee09f23ce31
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

Other links

Publisher's full text

Authority records BETA

Peter, SimoneIsidorova, AnastasijaSobek, Sebastian

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Peter, SimoneIsidorova, AnastasijaSobek, Sebastian
By organisation
Limnology
In the same journal
Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences
Earth and Related Environmental Sciences

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 19 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

doi
urn-nbn

Altmetric score

doi
urn-nbn
Total: 414 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf