An introduction to human-centered software engineering: Integrating usability in the development process
2005 (English)In: Human-centered software engineering: Integrating usability in the software development lifecycle, Springer , 2005, 3-14 p.Chapter in book (Other (popular scientific, debate etc.))
This book aims at bridging the gap between the field of software engineering (SE) and Human Computer Interaction (HCI), and addresses the concerns of integrating usability and user centered systems design into the development process. This can be done by defining techniques, tools and practices that can fit into the entire software engineering lifecycle as well as by defining ways of addressing the knowledge and skills needed, and the attitudes and basic values that a user centered development methodology requires. This introductory chapter highlights the major challenges and obstacles in integrating usability and user-centered design techniques in the software engineering lifecycle. The
discussion is centered on the following key issues:
• When and how to involve users and user interface design specialists in
the design and development process
• Practical experiences of using usability engineering techniques and artifacts in the analysis, design and evaluation processes
• Organizational obstacles to user-centered design
• Role of the UCD facilitator and usability professionals in the development processes and teams
• Communication problems that occur when usability experts with varied
skills and expertise communicate with software and computer scientists
The chapter also provides some basic definitions especially about usability, its measurement and its place in the mainstream development lifecycle. Most of the integration problems briefly discussed in this chapter are detailed in other chapters.
Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
Springer , 2005. 3-14 p.
Usability evaluation, Work environment, Health and safety, Occupational health
IdentifiersURN: urn:nbn:se:uu:diva-79088ISBN: 1-4020-4027-XOAI: oai:DiVA.org:uu-79088DiVA: diva2:107001