The Erechtheion and the Panathenaic Procession (Old Temple of Athena Polias)
2006 (English)In: American Journal of Archaeology, ISSN 0002-9114, E-ISSN 1939-828X, Vol. 110, no 3, 389-401 p.Article in journal (Refereed) Published
The Old Temple of Athena Polias was destroyed in 480 B.C. Later it was rebuilt on a new site (the Erechtheion). This article: argues that the temple was moved to make roots for the Panathenaic procession. A large open area was created where the: participants of the procession could gather to behold the sacrifices anti the presentation of the peplos. A re-evaluation of the evidence shows that the naos of Athena Polias was probably located in the west part of the Erechtheion. The Caryatid Porch and the North Porch can be understood its visual links, connecting festival area. naos. and lower city.*
Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2006. Vol. 110, no 3, 389-401 p.
IdentifiersURN: urn:nbn:se:uu:diva-81449ISI: 000239016900003OAI: oai:DiVA.org:uu-81449DiVA: diva2:109364