uu.seUppsala University Publications
Change search
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Women who learn computing like men: Different gender positions on basic computer courses in adult education.
Uppsala University, Disciplinary Domain of Humanities and Social Sciences, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Sociology.
2009 (English)In: Journal of Vocational Education and Training, ISSN 1363-6820, E-ISSN 1747-5090, Vol. 61, no 2, 151-168 p.Article in journal (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

This article is based on questionnaire answered by 142 women and 35 men attending basic computer courses in Swedish municipal adult education centres, about their course, their self-conception as (computer) learners, and their overall computer use and computer attitudes. When clustering the respondents on basis of the variables with significant differences between men and women, two clusters were found. All men and 20% of the women belonged to one of the two clusters, while the other cluster only included women. In this article those women who belonged to the “masculine” cluster are focused as gender transgressors. The differences between these women and the remaining 80%, as well as the differences between these women and the men in the sample are analysed. This is an explorative study with a small sample, but it raises questions about the diversity of students in computer classes in adult education, particularly about the needs of the, possibly growing, minority of women who show a different pattern of computer interest and computer learning than the majority of their female as well as male fellow students.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
Wallingford, U.K.: Triangle Journals , 2009. Vol. 61, no 2, 151-168 p.
Keyword [en]
adult education, gender, women and ICT, technology education
National Category
Pedagogy Gender Studies
Research subject
URN: urn:nbn:se:uu:diva-109886OAI: oai:DiVA.org:uu-109886DiVA: diva2:274444
Available from: 2009-10-29 Created: 2009-10-29 Last updated: 2010-12-07Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Salminen-Karlsson, Minna
By organisation
Department of Sociology
In the same journal
Journal of Vocational Education and Training
PedagogyGender Studies

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

Total: 254 hits
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link