uu.seUppsala University Publications
Change search
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
The extraction of single-particle diffraction patterns from a multiple-particle diffraction pattern
Uppsala University, Disciplinary Domain of Science and Technology, Biology, Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Molecular biophysics.
Show others and affiliations
2013 (English)In: Optics Express, ISSN 1094-4087, Vol. 21, no 13, 15102-15112 p.Article in journal (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

The structures of biological molecules may soon be determined with X-ray free-electron lasers without crystallization by recording the coherent diffraction patterns of many identical copies of a molecule. Most analysis methods require a measurement of each molecule individually. However, current injection methods deliver particles to the X-ray beam stochastically and the maximum yield of single particle measurements is 37% at optimal concentration. The remaining 63% of pulses intercept no particles or multiple particles. We demonstrate that in the latter case single particle diffraction patterns can be extracted provided the particles are sufficiently separated. The technique has the potential to greatly increase the amount of data available for three-dimensional imaging of identical particles with X-ray lasers.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2013. Vol. 21, no 13, 15102-15112 p.
National Category
Natural Sciences
URN: urn:nbn:se:uu:diva-206464DOI: 10.1364/OE.21.015102ISI: 000321288400019OAI: oai:DiVA.org:uu-206464DiVA: diva2:644647
Available from: 2013-09-01 Created: 2013-08-30 Last updated: 2013-09-01Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text

Other links

Publisher's full text

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Ekeberg, TomasMaia, Filipe R. N. C.
By organisation
Molecular biophysics
In the same journal
Optics Express
Natural Sciences

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

Altmetric score

Total: 171 hits
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link