uu.seUppsala University Publications
Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
A rapid two-step algorithm detects and identifies clinical macrolide and beta-lactam antibiotic resistance in clinical bacterial isolates
Show others and affiliations
2014 (English)In: Journal of Microbiological Methods, ISSN 0167-7012, E-ISSN 1872-8359, Vol. 102, 26-31 p.Article in journal (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

Purpose: Aiming to identify macrolide and beta-lactam resistance in clinical bacterial isolates rapidly and accurately, a two-step algorithm was developed based on detection of eight antibiotic resistance genes. Methods: Targeting at genes linked to bacterial macrolide (msrA, ermA, ermB, and ermC) and beta-lactam (bla(TEM), bla(SHV), bla(CTX-N-1), bin(CTX-M-9)) antibiotic resistances, this method includes a multiplex real-time PCR, a melting temperature profile analysis as well as a liquid bead microarray assay. Liquid bead microarray assay is applied only when indistinguishable T-m profile is observed. Results: The clinical validity of this method was assessed on clinical bacterial isolates. Among the total 580 isolates that were determined by our diagnostic method, 75% of them were identified by the multiplex real-time PCR with melting temperature analysis alone, while the remaining 25% required both multiplex real-time PCR with melting temperature analysis and liquid bead microarray assay for identification. Compared with the traditional phenotypic antibiotic susceptibility test, an overall agreement of 81.2% (kappa = 0.614, 95% Cl = 0550-0.679) was observed, with a sensitivity and specificity of 87.7% and 73% respectively. Besides, the average test turnaround time is 3.9 h, which is much shorter in comparison with more than 24 h for the traditional phenotypic tests. Conclusions: Having the advantages of the shorter operating time and comparable high sensitivity and specificity with the traditional phenotypic test, our two-step algorithm provides an efficient tool for rapid determination of macrolide and beta-lactam antibiotic resistances in clinical bacterial isolates.  

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2014. Vol. 102, 26-31 p.
Keyword [en]
Two-step algorithm, Antibiotic resistance genes, Clinical bacterial isolates
National Category
Cell Biology Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:uu:diva-228977DOI: 10.1016/j.mimet.2014.04.006ISI: 000337857800006OAI: oai:DiVA.org:uu-228977DiVA: diva2:735301
Available from: 2014-07-25 Created: 2014-07-24 Last updated: 2017-12-05Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text

Other links

Publisher's full text

Authority records BETA

Zhang, Li

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Zhang, Li
By organisation
Structure and Molecular Biology
In the same journal
Journal of Microbiological Methods
Cell BiologyBiochemistry and Molecular Biology

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

doi
urn-nbn

Altmetric score

doi
urn-nbn
Total: 332 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf