Urban Meat Geographies in Stockholm
2014 (English)Conference paper, Abstract (Other academic)
This paper will look at the history and geography of the meat trade in Stockholm and how it was transformed between 1846 and 1936. In 1864 previous regulations of the meat trade were abolished and the number of private slaughterhouses multiplied exponentially. At the same time, the city itself rapidly expanded. Over the decades, issues of food control and hygiene provoked discussions on how the meat trade was to be organized to best fulfil the needs of the capital. Private and public solutions were pitted against one another, as were control and economy. After long and heated debates a law of compulsory meat control was passed in 1897. Fifteen years later the city inaugurated its first public abattoir at the outskirts of the city, and private slaughterhouses were made illegal. The wholesale meat trade, however, continued to be scattered over several different places around town. In 1936, a wholesale market for meat was opened next to the abattoir, which, by the standards of the time, was considered a large-scale and highly rational facility. This again altered the food geography of the city and it mirrors other changes as well. How the means of transport had evolved. How urban sensibilities to animal presence in the city had changed. How the nature of the food supply chains themselves had transformed with the urban foodshed extending far beyond what had hitherto been possible.
Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
Research subject Economic History
IdentifiersURN: urn:nbn:se:uu:diva-240571OAI: oai:DiVA.org:uu-240571DiVA: diva2:777789
12th International Conference on Urban History: Cities in Europe, Cities in the World, Lissabon 3-6 september 2014
FunderThe Jan Wallander and Tom Hedelius Foundation, W2010-0194:1