Department of Teacher Training, Uppsala University, is the institution in Sweden with the longest experience of distance teacher education. Programmes for professions allied to medicine (nurses, occupational therapist, physiotherapists) and to nature cultivation (agronomists, horticulturalists, foresters, veterinarians) are available. This paper will explore:
- the ways in which new and flexible forms of teacher education improve and extend access to teacher education for professional men and women all over Sweden.
- intentions, goals and different courses in the programs. In-service training gives, for example, opportunities for international co-operation
- the style of distance learning materials (including manuals, video and other forms of IT)
- group studies as the basic educational idea
- evaluation and quality assurance
- development and planned changes due to the changing technological environment
The paper will also advance a theoretical framework with comparisons between conventional and distance education.