uu.seUppsala University Publications
Change search
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Worse survival for TP53 (p53)-mutated breast cancer patients receiving adjuvant CMF
Uppsala University, Disciplinary Domain of Medicine and Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Surgical Sciences. Uppsala University, Disciplinary Domain of Medicine and Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Surgical Sciences, Endocrine Surgery. (Gastrointestinal Surgery)
Show others and affiliations
2005 (English)In: Annals of Oncology, ISSN 0923-7534, Vol. 16, no 5, 743-8 p.Article in journal (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

BACKGROUND: TP53 has been described as a prognostic factor in many malignancies, including breast cancer. Whether it also might be a predictive factor with reference to chemo- and endocrine therapy is more controversial. PATIENTS AND METHODS: We investigated relapse-free (RFS), breast cancer-corrected (BCCS) and overall survival (OS) related to TP53 status in node-positive breast cancer patients that had received polychemotherapy [cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, 5-fluorouracil (CMF)] and/or endocrine therapy (tamoxifen). Sequence analyses of the whole TP53 coding region was performed in 376 patients operated on for primary breast cancer with axillary lymph node metastases between 1984 and 1989 (median follow-up time 84 months). RESULTS: TP53 mutations were found in 105 patients (28%). We found 90 (82%) of the 110 mutations in the more frequently analysed exons 5-8, while the other 20 (18%) were located in exons 3-4 and 9-10, respectively. Univariate analyses showed TP53 to be a significant prognostic factor with regard to RFS, BCCS and OS in patients who received adjuvant CMF. CONCLUSIONS: TP53 mutations might induce resistance to certain modalities of breast cancer therapy. Sequence-determined TP53 mutation was of negative prognostic value in the total patient population and in the CMF treated patients.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2005. Vol. 16, no 5, 743-8 p.
National Category
Medical and Health Sciences
URN: urn:nbn:se:uu:diva-70776DOI: 10.1093/annonc/mdi150PubMedID: 15802278OAI: oai:DiVA.org:uu-70776DiVA: diva2:98687
Available from: 2005-04-28 Created: 2005-04-28 Last updated: 2009-06-18Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text

Other links

Publisher's full textPubMedhttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=Retrieve&list_uids=15802278&dopt=Citation

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Holmberg, Lars
By organisation
Department of Surgical SciencesEndocrine Surgery
In the same journal
Annals of Oncology
Medical and Health Sciences

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

Altmetric score

Total: 195 hits
ReferencesLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link